Honey, the product of the hard-working bees, is undoubtedly one of the healthiest foods on the Earth, which offers countless health benefits.
It can be used in the treatment of various illnesses and health conditions. However, there are numerous fake types of honey on the market, mislabeled as an organic one, offered at low prices.
There are several side effect that can be caused by consuming fake honey:
- Risk of damaging your nerves (the fake honey consist of a group of chemical substances known as “grayanotoxins.” This toxin is very poisonous and can really harm your nervous system.)
- You can also have a significant gain in your weight (regular honey has a lot of calories, but the fake honey has a significantly larger amount of calories that can harm your digestive system which can result in weight gain.
- Risk of infections (there is a chance that you can receive a fungal and bacterial infection in your body, especially at those who have a weaker immune system.)
- Risk of food poisoning (if the honey is fake or unpasteurized, there are big chances that you will receive food poisoning and abdominal pain.)
On the other side, the organic regular honey has numerous positives sides if consumed.
- Stabilizing or improving your immune system (the nutrients of the honey are very positive for your health and body.)
- If you are a diabetic, the honey is way better than the sugar (the honey lowers your LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and inflammation, and raises your good cholesterol -- HDL.)
- The organic honey can suppress a cough, especially in children (according to several types of research, the honey is better than several common medications against coughs and can prevent upper respiratory infections.)
According to the findings of the research conducted by Food Safety News, more than 76 percent of all honey sold in markets has been infiltrated.
This process eliminates all impurities of the honey, including the pollen and wax traces.
The infiltration is said to be important for extending the shelf life of the product and preventing crystallization, but it also removes many health benefits of the honey.
Apparently, it serves to hide the geographical origin of the honey. Chinese manufacturers contaminated honey with illegal antibiotics and metals with the aim to import it.
This is the reason why we should all avoid such honey since in the case of pollen contamination, it is vital to trace and analyze the origin of the product.
Here are several ways which can help you to spot fake honey:
-- If the honey does not crystallize over time, it is fake.
-- add a spoon of honey to a glass of water, and if it dissolves, it is fake.
-- Add a few drops of vinegar to a glass of water, and then add some honey. If the honey starts to foam, it is a clear sign that it has been adulterated with plaster.
-Burn it with phosphorus or a match. If it ignites, it is pure, organic honey.
-Add some honey and a few drops of iodine in a glass of water. If the color of the honey turns blue, it has been mixed with cornstarch.
-- Read the label of the product well. In case it contains high fructose corn syrup or commercial glucose, avoid it.
Moreover, when buying honey, follow these tips:
- Some honey types are high in low-quality mead or mixed with glucose.
- The McDonald’s and KFC honey lacks pollen.
- Honey sold at CVS Pharmacy and Walgreen’s does not contain pollen.
- Over 77 percent of the honey sold at Costco, Target, and Sam’s Club lacks pollen.
- Honey Winnie the Pooh sold at Walmart does not contain pollen.
In order to reap all the benefits of honey, always choose pure, organic one, that contains pollen, and offers countless health benefits.